With the growing interest in Home Theater PC (HTPC), Media Center software, and Consumer Electronic (Mpg1-4/Network/USB DVD players, networked digital home entertainment expander, portable multimedia device), the time is right to have a common metadata file for content and particularly for multimedia files.
That is why, we created a standard for the multimedia content, and even went one step further, the standard will contain information on any type of object ( Audio, Video, DVD, Word processor, Comic book...) on any media and on any operating system. What we offer, is the external text based metadata file called the: McGrath Information Solution (MIS) specification.
A .MIS is written so that even a none technical person could easily read the format (with basic English).
This metadata file could contain a lot of "tags" but it's up to the software/hardware developer to decide what to support because it can be very simple (title, description...) or advanced (chapter's, bit rate, codec..). Also, with your software you could export/import a .MIS file. Your may use different databases in your applications and the standard would help users go from one software to the other. Almost no predefined tables are used but if you write a value the same way, a table of correspondence could be easily made.
The specification (length of the values to display) is a compromise between the computer and consumer electronic worlds.
* Free (see the license page)
* Only 1 text based file for most information (title, description, credit, notes, text based subtext., chapters ...)
* Safeguards the information even when re-encoding in another format (only the files extension and technical information will be modified)
* Can be read with no zigzag effect and modified with a simple editor with no re-encoding of the content
* Multilingual support (tags are in English) but you can have titles, description .... in English, French in the same .MIS file..
What's New in this Release: Free for commercial and non-commercial
Link to McGrath Information Solution sample code
Platform: Not Applicable
License: Data only
Date Added: Jan 31, 2008
Last check for an update: Dec 01, 2016
Last version date: Jul 24, 2007
Page Visit: 99
Malware Status: Clean
Scan Date: Mar 24, 2008